Thursday, January 10, 2008

Modern Romance


I'm a sucker for romance.

My favorite book is, I admit it, Pride & Prejudice. (I always feel compelled to add, "but my fave movie is the Godfather!" or something to that effect. I just did it now, see?)

I've watched Love Actually, Bridget Jones, Great Expectations, You've Got Mail and assorted rom-coms more times than I care to admit.

Two scenes I always remember:

1. When Bridget's dotty ass friends propose a toast on her birthday, "To Bridget, who cannot cook, but who we love...just as she is". And Mark Darcy's look, 'cause he knows you wouldn't reproduce conversations to your friends verbatim if it wasn't important.

2. The very end of Before Sunset. Celine, Julie Delpy's character, is dancing to Nina Simone. Jesse, Ethan Hawke's character, watches her. She's relaxed (she's had her breakdown now), almost loopy while bowing to the inevitable and says, "Baby, you are gonna miss that plane". And Jesse just looks at her, smiles, and answers, "I know."


I like Jennifer Crusie, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Julia Quinn and Elizabeth Hoyt. They're funny, but they're romance authors (Why do I have to add that "but"?). I know what HEA and TSTL mean. Hell, I even read Lisa Kleypas and Mary Balogh on occasion. 'Cause I like 'em.

So, I want a happy ending. Whether I believe in it, well, that remains to be seen.

Public displays of affection annoy me. I quote like a fanboy. But I'm not so cynical that I can't drop the act for a moment. Come on, I don't always criticize everything and everyone. I know it's a cop out. Isn't anyone allowed to bitch anymore?

And believe me, I can do or say the corniest and most embarrassing things without giggling or deadpan. Like I love you. When the moment is right.

Just thought you'd like to know.

No comments: