Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tampoco cantan mal las rancheras...

I like Michelle Obama.

She seems real and smart, not an airbrushed political wife well versed in sound bite strategies.

Sometimes she comes across as someone with a chip on her shoulder, or it seems she is undermining her husband (snorey and stinky?).

This has a lot to do with some local six o'clock news producer's idea of American News, also known as infotainment. Selectively highlighting someone's comments and then taking them out of context, alas, is a common and enduring practice.

However, her Feb. 18 comments are kinda hard to swallow.:

“For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country,” she told a Milwaukee crowd, “and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change.”

Really? your whole adult lifetime? Never once? Well. How embarrassing.

At first, it's like, cool, let's take back America, people. Let's leave a legacy we can be proud of, etc. BUT, it also means she hasn't been proud of her country for twenty something years. Of the U.S. as a country, as a collective people, as a culture?

This reeks of "leftist sophistication", something you see amoung us indie poseurs, but not something I would want to hear from a dedicated, earnest politico. It reminds me of Billary crying in New Hampshire, e.g., if you don 't choose me this country is going to have it soo baad, sniff.

Feel free to cast stones. I'm apalled at myself for thinking she needs to tone down the righteousness, too. Maybe I'm turning into my parents now.

No comments: