Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Weekday Update

Haven't written in forever, since my workdays have been too hectic recently, and I've been just way too burnt out at the end of the day. Sort of forgot my promise to myself, to just do it (just write) and let things flow.

So I apologize to myself, and to whomever might be reading this out there.

I have seen some cool movies recently, read some good books and listened to some mind blowing music, so I'll write about that instead of moaning about the economy or my job or whatever.

First off, Cafe Tacuba last Friday was awesome! Impressive, mind bending, and looong. Three hours worth of music, and they still had enough songs for three more. The Arena really does have great acoustics, and you can see the stage perfectly from wherever you're seated.

Ruben Albarrán, who's calling himself Cone Cahuitl these days, is a demented dancing elf with a bratty punk sneer, but he's capable of crooning sweetly when the occasion so requires. He's cool, groovy, hip and square.

Meme is my hero, he's a musical genius! His geeky demeanor and his robot dance have completely won me over. So has have his improv skills. And his lyrics. And his keyboard and synth and programming. Meme rules. The Rangel brothers are also the coolest, and their bass and guitar are not to be taken lightly.

It was the best concert of the year so far, and I'd say I won't see better in 2008, but I already have my Radiohead tix so maybe I'll declare a tie.

We're going to Rod Stewart tonight, my mother's idea, so I expect I'll be listening to her sing Handbags & Gladrags, et al, all spring.

April also has the Smashing Pumpkins, Groove Armada, Sasha & Digweed, Plastilina Mosh and Los Amigos Invisibles, all in all a pretty good month. Aand Ennio Morricone and the Orquesta Roma Sinfonietta are coming in May with Musica per il Cinema!

Haven't read much fiction lately, I started the Name of the Rose but got caught up in all the work related Business/Economics non-fiction. I'm in the middle of the Black Swan, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. It's counterintuitive but it's also not. I'm not sure yet if I can believe in what he says or it's just a lot of smoke. Problem is his theory isn't really the kind that will go down in parts, heh.

I also have a tall TBS (To Be Seen instead of To Be Read) pile, which includes There Will Be Blood (I knowww!!), The Lion in the Winter, Gone Baby Gone, The Assasination of Jesse James, and The Maltese Falcon. I can always see a comedy but I haven't found many good ones lately.

Oh, one thing. How come they completely ignored Sean Penn and Into the Wild at the Oscars? Really, that was insulting. Hal Holbrook? What about script, photography, direction, Eddie Vedder's music? Emile Hirsch? It's awful that movies like Into the Wild or Once get such limited releases when the Meet the Spartans is at every multiplex. It's one of the few redeeming cultural offerings Monterrey has, so called indie and international (Non USA) releases.

No comments: