Wednesday, March 07, 2007

half nelson



I'm in love with Ryan Gosling.
I wish he'd break up with Rachel McAdams.
Kidding...not really.

The movie manages to be serious and funny at the same time, like good movies can. Daniel Dunn is so indie hipster it hurts to see him. The undershirts, the sunglasses, the hardshell briefcase on a strap, right down to the rubber bands and the geeky Casio on the right wrist.
Shareeka Epps (any relation to Omar Epps?) is a woman-child all poise and wisdom at moments, then lonely longing the next second.

The music was way cool, very atmospheric, then again I like Broken Social Scene. The cool blues in the cinematography which some might call "gritty", remind me of Rodrigo Prieto's work. You can practically see the dust motes dancing in the sunlight in Dan's apartment. For some people this desaturated approach is cliché but I like it. I would have enjoyed a little less handheld shots, though. I liked the sound editing and mix too. There isn't that much dialogue, and one of the things that struck me was Epps's silence. She's pretty young to be emoting so.

It's one to watch.

No comments: