Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Librocara, and they don't make them like they used to


I couldn't help imagining a charming romcom situation for this ad. Although reality might turn out to be as charming as a Cameron Diaz & Ashton Kutcher movie, I wish Charlie Tibshirani a happy ending. A real one, not the ones in those soul deadening chick flicks of late.

Whatever happened to Billy Wilder, Howard Hawks, George Cukor? You know, His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby, Some Like it Hot, The Philadelphia Story, Woman of the Year? Yeah, that was a George Stevens picture, but you get the idea. Competent directors with range. Blake Edwards directed Breakfast at Tiffany's and Days of Wine and Roses.

These movies used to potray love as a grand enterprise, a risk worth taking. It sounds counterintuitive, but sometimes I think the female characters in movies like Adam's Rib were more emancipated than those insipid Cosmo girls in modern romcoms. They certainly weren't afraid to be mean at times.

27 Dresses, btw, sucks. Avoid it, unless you can watch it on pay per view for free, like we did, and even then consider that you can't get those two hours back. Katherine Hiegl's character is pathological, Ed Burns is bland (isn't he always, though?), Heigl's sister is a monster, but please, in what universe will Izzie be the "plain" sister? James Marsden was funny in Enchanted, and here he gets to quip "Love is patient, love is kind, love is slowly going out of your mind." Ehhh. His backstory is boring though.

And although I like B-b-b-b-benny and the Jets, that whole scene was, hmmm, trite. I did like it when he said, " I cried like a baby at the Keller wedding". Heigl has some good deadpan, see "hot hate sex", "real good caulker", and "I'm Jesus". But the story, the story!! Silly premise, no growth, one dimensional characters, no tension, completely stupid ending.

I remain a sucker for happy endings (not this one, though). Despite the fact that I believe monogamy is a social/cultural construction and happiness is mostly an illusion (not one of my better days, I see). Does this prove that I can hold two contrasting, conflicting ideas in my mind at the same time without going nuts? Or does this just prove I'm nuts?

Btw, I'm listening to Portishead's new album right now, so maybe I'm just incredibly malleable and excellent creepy music can creep me out and just put me in this frame of mind. Or not.

Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead!...sorry!

Obama is in! No time to post about that right now, sorry, much work to be done.

No comments: